Business Class - Singapore to Delhi on the Dreamliner - Air India Trip Report

Having a job that makes you travel a lot has its own perks. For someone like me, who loves aviation in general and flying in particular, getting to fly on different aircraft to various destinations around the world is definitely something I look forward to.

This trip report is for my return flight on the last company sponsored visit to Singapore (SIN) in the Business class. Since I've already flown Singapore Airlines in the past on this sector, I wanted to try a new product that was being offered on the route by Air India, the Boeing 787 - Dreamliner!




Air India was offering a very competitive fare (infact much below the competition) on this route and I immediately took advantage of it. As the day of departure came close, the excitement to fly on a new aircraft type started showing on me. An online search on a trip report on the SIN-DEL B787 route came up with no results, so the suspense continued.


Flight Details:


Flight Number: AI-381
Aircraft Registration: VT-ANK
Aircraft: Boeing 787-8 Dreamliner
Route: Singapore to Delhi
STD: 0825 hours
ATD: 0822 hours

I got up early on the day of departure, checked out of my hotel, took a taxi and reached the airport ontime. Check-in was a breeze, Immigration took a while as there were huge queues everywhere but the efficient immigration staff did his best and completed the formalities on the double.

Air India's Boeing 787-8 Dreamliner aircraft has a seating capacity of 18 J seats, all 180-degree flat beds and 238 Y seats. I was assigned seat 3H, an aisle seat.

In anticipation of spotting the aircraft and watching it taxi-in, I skipped the lounge and proceeded directly to my assigned gate and came to know that the incoming aircraft had not yet landed. A quick check on the internet, and came to know that my ride for today would be VT-ANK, which is on final approach and should be in pretty soon. I cleared security check and took a seat near the window awaiting the Dreamliner to arrive.

The aircraft arrived, passengers deplaned and was turned around in about half an hour. Boarding was announced with separate aerobridges for J/Y passengers. I entered the aircraft from door 1L and crossed the galley to reach the second aisle. The aircraft seemed fresh and looked well kept. Loads in the Business class were around 83%. Immediately after boarding, cabin crew swung into action and offered:
  • A choice of hot/cold towels, 
  • A welcome drink (Orange, Grape and Apple juice) no Champagne! 
  • Amenities and Menu cards,
  • And finally a round of newspapers and magazines.
A quick glance at the windows and I realize that they are visibly larger than any other aircraft that I've flown. There are no physical window shutters, but electronic controls just below the window that lets you tint the shade from full bright to full dark in 5 steps. The IFE screen in front of my seat was pretty large and a non-noise cancelling over the year headphone was stowed next to it. 

I shifted to the empty window seat next to me and decided to sleep immediately after take off. The 180-degree flat bed was comfortable and I easily dozed off for about 2 hours until hunger started to kick in. When I woke up, I was covered with a duvet and had a large pillow, I guess the crew when saw me sleeping put it on me. Thanks guys!

This was a breakfast run, the menu cards offered 2 choices of Vegetarian and Non-Vegetarian options. The choices available were:

Veg:

1. South Indian Upma/Dosa with Sambhar

2. North Indian Poori with Indian curry.

Non Veg:

1. Cheese Omelette

2. Steamed Egg.

I opted for the steamed egg and it was served with hot croissants and freshly cut fruits. The meal was catered from Singapore and wasn't very satisfying for my Indian taste buds. A few choices of tea (Darjeeling/Earl Grey/Green) were then offered, I instead settled for coffee! I really needed & expected a cappuccino but received an instant coffee as AI's Dreamliner does not have a coffee machine. Disappointing!


There are two lavatories in the Business class. One on the left hand side and one on the right. They were stocked with dental, shaving kits, amenities and were clean. I really liked the auto-flush which is based on a non-touch system.

Soon it was time to land into Delhi, the captain came on the PA and thanked us for choosing AI and wished us well. We landed pretty much ontime in Delhi. Gate 2L was opened for deboarding and business class passengers were given priority. Immigration was a breeze and my check-in bag was already waiting for me at the baggage belt.

Overall, it was a good flight for me, even though I slept for most part of it and didn't get to experience the IFE it offered. Hope you enjoyed the trip report, please feel free to Subscribe to my YouTube channel to be notified of my regular trip reports and other aviation related uploads.

Other Video Trip Reports:
  1. Air India Boeing 777-300ER DEL-BOM (Economy Class)
  2. Air India Airbus A321 DEL-BOM (Economy Class)
  3. Air India Airbus A320 DEL-GOA (Economy Class)